Thursday, February 22, 2007

Two People You Meet In Hell

There are two kinds of people that I hate: pathological liars (hmm) and excessively conceited people.

The first one, I believe, needs no further explanation. Even liars hate them.

The latter, on the other hand... I can't even express in words (or action) just how much I loathe them. The thing is, there are two further kinds of conceited people -- those that are conscious of it and those that are not. And trust me, I don't know which one is worse.

I know this particular person who is uber-nice. Truly. The only problem is, she can be quite arrogant about herself... that the people who don't know her tend to have the wrong impression. I have to admit, she's quite pretty -- gorgeous, in fact -- and well, the problem is, she knows this quite well. And she makes it her business to make people know that she knows this.

My point is... if you think so highly of yourself, you don't have to vocalize it so that even the people in the Fiji Isles know about it. It will show, no matter what. Keep it to yourself and let it shine through your style, personality and stance. Telling people how great/beautiful/smart/rich you are will just make them develop a certain distaste towards you. It's all about understated elegance.

Aye?

I have this certain fear -- the fear of people thinking I'm arrogant and conceited. It makes sense, yeah? Because I don't like people like that, I don't want people to think I'm like that. But sometimes, because I'm so concerned about being humble and modest, I can downplay myself so much that I probably am giving vibes that I have NO self-esteem. Not good. I learned through the years that it's all about attitude really. It is, however, severely important that one remain genuine and honest.
Seriously... there's a hair strand in between confidence and false modesty. And sometimes, even arrogance.

I cringe whenever people resort to singing themselves high praises in order to put someone else down. Just cool it, dude! I mean, do I hear insecurity bells ringing? More like beating the insecurity gong with a baseball bat... I cringe even more when people try to apply reverse psychology on others saying "Oh I'm fat, I'm ugly, I'm so dumb" when clearly they are not. And it merely triggers positive responses as "Oh, don't be silly, you're absolutely fab!"

Please... send in the Valium. By the truckloads. Here's some binary code for you: 00100.

The same goes for the NOVEAURICHE people out there. If you have money, there's nothing worse than bragging about it... because it just shows that you're not used to having it. Utterly classless.
Being humble is definitely an art. Not everyone can pull it off.

3 Comments:

Blogger zanas said...

i do admire the way you put it. u deliver your message so crystal clear. i know someone who fits the bill, and she's driving everyone nutz. while trying to promote her lifestyle by announcing it through her built-in-loudspeaker, she has actually created a bad image of herself.

12:15 AM  
Blogger raghav said...

OMG .. I thought the first post was a fluke .. but u seem to be doing this very consistently .. great work, have to admit.

6:16 PM  
Blogger naren_buddy said...

hey u r too gd a writer...and it seems u writes abt everything on ur mind..gr8 yaar.
u seems like sharing same confusion and dilemmas with me. welcome aboard :) =)

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home